DCMS listing detailsphotographs on this page are © DCMS
Church (Grade I) TQ3480 22/739 (listed 1950)
Nicholas Hawksmoor. 1729. White ashlar masonry. Tall western
lantern tower approached by steps. Main body of church with round
arched windows and apsidal east end. Crypt now cleared and forms
large hall. Pepperpot corner turrets. Interior of church was gutted
during World War II and a smaller church reconstructed within the
outer walls leaving a small courtyard with flats leading from it
inside the former west end of the church. The present west end is
formed by a glass screen. The lantern tower of St George in the East
is a prominent feature in this part of Stepney. The church with its
associated rectory, walls, gates, railings and memorials forms a
group around St George's Gardens: its former churchyard.
The following items are all Grade II, the listing of all but the last two adding the final two sentences of the church's listing.
CABLE STEET (South Side) Gate Piers to St George-in-the-East Gardens TQ 3480 22/737 (listed 1972)
C18/early C19 brick and stone ornamented gate piers with iron finials.
The Dolphin Public House, Nos 192 to 224 (even) and No 230, The
Britannia Public House, The Town Hall & Gate Piers form a well
defined group on the
South Side of Cable Street.
GATE PIERS TO CHURCH DRIVE AT CHURCH OF ST GEORGE-IN-THE-EAST, CANNON STREET ROAD E1 (east side) TQ 3480 22/740 (listed 1973)
C19. Tall panelled
stucco Sate piers with white stone caps.
ST GEORGE'S RECTORY, 16 CANNON STREET ROAD E1 (east side) TQ 3480 22/741 II GV 2. (listed 1950)
Early C18 -
altered. Red brick with partial brick bands and parapet. Roof
not visible. 3 storeys and basement. 4 windows with blank projection
3 windows (some blank) on return. Sashes, recessed with glazing bars
gauged flat arches. Wooden porch. Simple staircase with shaped step
Some early and later C19 fireplaces remain.
PIER, GATES, RAILED WALL TO NORTH SIDE OF CHURCH OF ST GEORGE-IN-THE-EAST, CANNON STREET ROAD E1 (east side) TQ 3480 22/742 (listed 1973)
C18. Panelled stone
pier. Iron gates with overthrow, spear head and poppy
seed finials. Railed stone wall, the railings, of similar design to the
are later replacements.
ST GEORGE'S GARDENS, RAINE MEMORIAL, CANNON STREET ROAD E1 (east side) TQ 3480 22/743 (listed 1973)
1725 and later.
White stone. Square on stepped plinth and surmounted by
a truncated spire. Crested shield with coat of arms on one face and
figure with a book in high relief on another. Memorial tablets on other
ST GEORGE'S GARDENS WAR MEMORIAL, CANNON STREET ROAD E1 (east side) TQ 3480 22/744 (listed 1973)
War memorial with
slender, tapered white stone shaft, bas relief carvings
sword and leaves. Stepped plinth.
ST GEORGE'S GARDENS GARDEN WALL, CANNON STREET ROAD E1 (east side) TQ 3480 22/745 (listed 1973)
C18. 8 ft high red brick buttressed wall with white stone coping. North
eastern section has a C19 grey marble drinking fountain with bowl and
incorporates a stone plaque giving the pre 1876 course of the wall.
into St George in the East's Churchyard and Rectory garden
CHURCHYARD AND RECTORY WALL AT CHURCH OF ST GEORGE IN THE EAST, CANNON STREET ROAD E1 (east side) TQ 3480 22/746 (listed 1973)
C18. 8 ft high red
brick buttressed wall with white stone coping. Continues
into St George's Gardens (qv).
ANONYMOUS SARCOPHAGUS APPROXIMATELY 7 METRES EAST OF ST GEORGE'S RECTORY, CANNON STREET ROAD E1 TQ 3480 788/22/10083 (listed 1997)
sarcophagus, c.1740, grey veined marble. Sarcophagus
supported at corners on ball and claw feet with acanthus decoration.
Coved cover with gadrooning to edge, armorial cartouches to sides and a
feathered coronet on the south end. Located opposite the rectory (qv)
and possibly in memory of an early rector of the church. A highly
unusual design executed in very lavish marble.
MONUMENT TO A. WYLLIE IN SOUTH WEST CORNER OF ST GEORGES GARDENS, CANNON STREET ROAD E1 TQ 3480 788/22/10082 (listed 1998)
Alexander Wyllie, dated 1741. Buff-coloured sandstone.
Above the script engraved inscription is a bas relief depicting a skull
to the left and crossed bones to the right; above is a ribband
inscribed 'memento mori'. It is almost certainly of northern
manufacture, brought to London by sea.